Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jimmy Bartel Wins Brownlow

AFL Football
Bartel Wins Brownlow
Football News


Links : AFL Football | Brownlow Medal | Finals Football

Geelong midfielder Jimmy Bartel is confident his runaway Brownlow Medal victory won't prove to be much of a distraction in the lead-up to Saturday's grand final against Port Adelaide.

The 23-year-old polled 29 votes, including eight best-on-ground performances, to finish seven votes clear of Brisbane's Simon Black, the Kangaroos' Brent Harvey and West Coast tyro Daniel Kerr, who was ineligible due to a suspension.

Bartel's teammate and pre-event favourite Gary Ablett polled 20 votes to finish in a tie for sixth.

"I couldn't stop shaking up there and I'm still overwhelmed," Bartel said.

"It's starting to sink in but I don't think it will for quite some time.

"I've got training and we've got a pretty big game to look forward to.

"I just can't wait for the grand final now."

Bartel was confident that winning the medal would not distract him from focusing on Saturday's grand final against the Power, where the Cats will be seeking to end a 44-year premiership drought.

"I've got some pretty good teammates here who keep me down to earth," he said.

"They're looking forward to the weekend, just like I am and I just can't wait for Saturday to come around.

"Hopefully (I'll play) well.

"But then again, I'd rather not get a kick at all if (it means) we win the premiership."

No comments: